Wow, I can't believe the semester is nearly over! As of this morning, I have officially finished my last class of the semester. All I have left is one assignment due tonight, an essay, and exams. Speaking of class this morning, the test was not hard, but I wouldn't say it was easy either. I had some trouble with the question about the set of regular expressions that didn't have the concatenation property. Oh well, I guess I will have to do well on the final exam to make up for this (and previous tests/assignments.. :P). I was really hoping for a question to ask us to design and construct a DFSA rather than this proof question that I didn't get in the end :(


Anyway, this entry will be about the last two weeks of CSC236. Assignment 3 was easier for me to do than previous assignments. That's probably because I like and find this material easier than what we've done in the past. I hope we get our grades soon. 

We learned the pumping lemma and proving non-regular languages last Monday, and then looked at context-free grammar the rest of last week and finished it up this Monday. Wednesday was a semi-review lecture, and then today was the test. Although context free grammar is new to me, I found it to be quite interesting or at least, the part where we follow the letters and build languages. Proving that a context free grammar is actually equivalent to a language wasn't as appealing. I'll definitely have to review that for the exam. Something else that was completely new was the new machine with a "stack" that we developed for representing non-regular languages. I remember understanding it during lecture, but as I look at my notes now, I'm having trouble deciphering my notes.  I'll need to review this too. 

Again, I tried to review the course notes for my test today, but it just didn't work for me. To be honest, I've hardly actually reviewed the book for this course. I find what Prof. Heap teaches to be a lot easier to understand than a lot of the material in the book. Sometimes when I don't understand something I wrote down for lecture, I consult the course notes. Sometimes it helps, but most of the time, I get even more confused by it. Oh well, according to Prof. Heap's review method, the course notes aren't even on the top 4 things to review. That's good, I guess :D

Anyway, although this course wasn't a favourite, it was an overall pretty good experience. A little too much induction for my liking, but at least with induction, you can always get partial marks for writing just the outline. Now there's only the exam left to look forward to....

Thanks to Prof. Heap for a great semester :) Good luck to everyone on their exams!

0 comments: