CSC236... Begins!

School has finally started again. It feels like only yesterday that I was still in first year...  except my memory seems to tell me otherwise; I've failed to retain anything after my brain turned off for four whole months. I guess what I meant to say was, summer sure went by quickly. I hope everyone has enjoyed their summer. I know I did. :)


So after last semester of SLoG writing for CSC165, I find myself SLoG writing, not surprisingly, for CSC236 this semester. Although I am not a big fan of recording and reflecting about a particular course, I suppose this will force myself into reviewing problems that I didn't understand in class and into solving problems Prof. Heap gives us to think about. 

We focussed on simple induction for the first week of classes. Although I can follow what is being explained, I find that I am having a bit of trouble coming up with the "key" step on my own. I guess I just need a bit of time for my brain to pick up the pace again. Other than that.. I think classes are pretty straightforward and going at a good pace. We've gotten rid of the very rigid structure of presenting our proofs from CSC165 and replaced it with something more flexible. I think there are good and bad things about this. Firstly, it is great to know that we can write up our proofs without having to worry about indenting and formatting. The proof can also flow better; however, this also means that half the marks we got last year for just the structure is not as easily attainable. It is also easier to miss crucial components to your proof while writing in paragraph form because you can't just spot it like you would in the 165 structure. 

Anyway, I hope this class will turn out as interesting as CSC165, if not more. I am not really enjoying CSC236, but I definitely do not feel as much hate as I did at the beginning of CSC165. I should probably get started on my problem set as well as some reading for this course now.

1 comments:

  Danny Heap

September 18, 2008 at 10:04 AM

All the "pieces" of the structure are there --- you need to assume n is a typical natural number if you want to prove something applies to all natural numbers. You have to assume the antecedent and derive the consequent if you want to prove an implication.

The difference is, you are now allowed to express those pieces in a freer way.